Since its inception the Vidyasagar University visualized the growing importance of library and information science education, research, and practice and therefore, the Department of Library and Information Science was established to conduct professional education as one of the earliest academic programmes of the University. The Department of Library and Information Science was one of the first six departments which started its functioning from 1985-86 academic session with one year BLISc course and the MLISc course was started from the session 1986-87. The initiative might have been based on the foresight about the predicted huge demand of information professionals which is now a reality. Our students are devoted to help people to manage information overload, connect people with the information resources and information technology that they need in order to achieve their goals, whether those goals are personal, community, corporate, government, or global. The Vidyasagar University Department of Library and Information Science has earned its reputation by translating the core principles of library science—information organization, access, use, and preservation to meet the needs of the modern information society. This natural integration of library science and information science allows for opportunities to enhance and strengthen learning, teaching, and research. The course curriculum of the BLISC and MLISc is designed to understand that fluency with current technologies which is important to all information professionals, from librarians, archivists, to information architects, Web developers, and data managers. The research programs carried out here are predominantly interdisciplinary in nature and the research problems includes ideas from Logic, Linguistics, Sociology, General System Theory, Environmental Studies and Artificial Intelligence which facilitates expertise in information activities and excellent opportunity to learn a blend of different knowledge domains. Our students are employed on every spectrum of the information activity of our society starting from rural libraries, school libraries, college and university libraries, R&D organizations, multinational corporate organization, national and international organizations and so on in different capacities.
Extension Activities of the Department
Organisation of National Seminar : 13
- LIS education: Structure, Infrastructure and Superstructure on Feb 20-21, 2014.
- Professionalism in librarianship: Issues and Challenges in 21st Century held on March 7-8, 2013.
- Glorious 100 Years of LIS Education in India: Introspect and Prospects held on December 8-9, 2011.
- Digital future of library materials: Issues and Challenges held on March 17-18, 2011.
- Organising Documents in Public Libraries held on March 11-12, 2010.
- Role of library in Organization and Transfer of Indigenous Knowledge held on March 30, 2009.
- Scope of Retrieval for Assimilation held during March 27-28, 2008.
- Access to Social Science information held during Feb 07-08, 2007.
- Use of Information Technology in Library Services held on Aug 22, 2004.
- Information Support for Rural Development held during Nov 18-19, 2003.
- Classification and Cataloguing in Digital Era held on March 28, 2003.
- New Dimension in Public Library Services held during Oct 16-17, 2001.
- Information Technology Applications in Library and Information Science held during March 24-25, 1998.
- UGC Sponsored Refresher Course on Current Trends in Library and Information Science held during Jan 12- Feb 09, 2004.
- Workshop on Development of OPAC through WINISIS held during June 9-17, 2003.
- Computer-aided Library and Information Systems and Use of CDS/ISIS Retrieval System held during May 18-27, 1992.
- Documentation Research and Training Centre, Indian Statistical Institute, Bengaluru.
Thrust Areas of Teaching
- Bibliographic Data Format
- Economics of Information
- Information and Scientometrics
- Information Infrastructure Development
- Information Science
- Information Systems and Networks
- Intellectual Property Issues
- Knowledge Organization
- Library Information Technology
- Library Sociology
- Research Methodology
Publication of the Department
Vidyasagar University Journal of Library and Information Science,
Frequency : Annual
1. Glorious 100 Years of LIS Education in India: Introspect and Prospects (2013)
2. Information Strategies for Rural India (2009)
3. Access to Social Science Information (2008)